Our Maui Practice Treatment & Therapy FAQ
At GRBH we provide assessments, diagnosis, treatment planning and multiple types of therapy and medication management for our patients here in Maui, Hawaii. The field of mental health services has changed dramatically over the years for multiple reasons. Ultimately each person is seeking change in one or several aspects of their lives. For many years it’s been unclear what exactly occurs in mental health therapy, how it works, and how we know if the treatment is effective.
Recent changes in mental health research and practices have indicated that such therapy treatments are more effective when there is a focus on goals, outcomes, and results in one’s life. Many of our clients have had multiple prior treatments with differing diagnoses, treatment “philosophies,” medications, etc. While many have had excellent prior experiences, many are often frustrated and continue to struggle with very similar symptoms or issues that they have had for years.
Is your practice right for me?
Seeking out professional help is an individual choice. There are many reasons why people on Maui come to Galler Rimm Behavioral Health Services. Sometimes it is to deal with long-standing psychological issues, or problems with anxiety or depression, or to work out solutions to unexpected changes in one’s life such as a divorce or work transition. Other times it is in response to challenges they may be facing with their children or other family members. Many of our island patients seek advice for themselves or their children regarding emotional, educational, or developmental issues. We can help provide insight, support, new strategies, and diagnostic advice for many types of issues including depression, anxiety, conflict, parenting issues, marital/relationship issues, poor school performance, grief, stress management, body-image issues, and general life transitions. Our Hawaii psychiatric therapy services may be the perfect fit for anyone who is interested in getting the most out of their life by taking responsibility, creating greater self-awareness, and working towards change in their lives.
How can Galler Rimm Behavioral Health Services help me?
A number of benefits are available through our Maui psychiatric practice. We can provide support, diagnostic advice, problem-solving skills, and enhanced mental health coping strategies for many emotional, developmental, educational, and/or behavioral issues. We can assist with managing personal growth, interpersonal relationships, family concerns, marriage issues, school concerns, and the hassles of daily life. We can provide a fresh perspective on a difficult problem or point you in the direction of a solution. Some of the benefits of our services include:
- Attaining a better understanding of yourself, your child(ren), your marriage, and/or your family.
- Developing skills for improving your relationships
- Finding resolution to the issues or concerns that led you to seek advice
- Learning new ways to cope with stress and anxiety
- Managing anger, grief, depression, and other emotional pressures
- Improving communications and listening skills
- Changing old behavior patterns and developing new ones
- Discovering new ways to solve problems in your family or marriage
- Improving self-esteem and boosting self-confidence
- Accessing diagnostic and medication advice
What about medication?
In some cases a combination of medication and other therapies is the right course of action. We can help determine what’s best for you. We strive towards an integrative approach to wellness for our Maui patients.
What are the sessions like?
Every session done out of our Makawao office is unique and caters to each individual and their specific mental health goals. It is standard for us to discuss the primary issues and concerns during our psychiatric sessions. It is common to schedule a series of weekly appointments, where each session lasts around fifty minutes. Our involvement can be short-term, focusing on a specific issue, or longer-term, addressing more complex or ongoing issues. Our services will be most effective if you are an active participant, both during and between sessions. Here are some things you can expect from us:
- Compassion, respect and understanding
- Perspectives to illuminate persistent patterns and negative feelings
- Real strategies for enacting positive change
- Effective and best-practice techniques along with practical guidance
Do you accept insurance and how does insurance work?
We accept most local insurances. We bill for both mental health and medical codes. To determine if your plan provides coverage, the first thing you should do is check with your insurance carrier. Check your coverage carefully and find the answers to the following questions:
- What are your mental/behavioral health benefits?
- What are your medical benefits?
- What is the co-pay amount per therapy session?
- Is there a limit to the number of sessions your plan covers?
- How much does your insurance pay for an out-of-network provider?
- Is approval required from your primary care physician?
Is therapy confidential?
In general, the law protects the confidentiality of all doctor-patient communications and information. No information is disclosed without prior written permission from the patient (or parents if the client is a minor).
However, there are some exceptions required by law to this rule. Exceptions include:
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse. We are required to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person. We are required to notify the police.
- If a client has suicidal thoughts and clearly intends to harm himself or herself. We will make every effort to work with the individual and/or their family to ensure their safety. However, additional measures may need to be taken under some circumstances.